We previously learned the role of DHA in brain and eye development, but how do we apply this information? The first step is to talk about sources of DHA in the diet and how we can incorporate more into our regular intake. The second is to look at DHA supplementation.
One of the richest dietary sources of DHA is salmon. Others include mackerel, sardines, and omega-3 eggs. One way to achieve your goal for DHA intake is to consume salmon or an alternate fatty fish 2 times per week. If you like this idea but aren’t sure how to prepare salmon in a tasty way, I have you covered!
Here is one of our family’s favourite salmon recipes:
- Prep time: 5 minutes
- Cook time: 22-25 minutes
- Oven temp.: 400 F
- Serves: 4 people
- 4 x 4-6 oz. salmon fillets (preferably wild and with the skin on)
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1 tsp. pureed garlic
- 1/2 tsp. pureed ginger (optional)
- 4 lemon slices
- Mix together maple syrup, soy sauce, garlic, and ginger.
- Place salmon fillets on the baking stone or in a glass baking dish.
- Pour even amounts of the maple-soy sauce over each fillet.
- Place a lemon slice on the centre of each fillet. This helps to keep moisture in.
- Place in the oven for 25 minutes. Check if salmon flakes apart. If it does, it is cooked through. If it does not flake apart, place the cooking pan back into the oven for an additional 2-5 minutes.
But My Children Are Still Learning To Like Salmon
But what about the days when salmon isn’t on the menu for supper? Or if you have a child who is still learning to like salmon and the majority of what you serve them remains on their plate? I am often asked this question and one amazing alternative that we use in our home is called Thinkmist™. Thinkmist™ is a DHA supplement that comes in a spray form. You can spray it right into your child’s mouth on the inner cheek or add it to their favourite foods. Each spray offers 88 mg of DHA which is great because it allows you to personalize the amount for each child. Here are a few ways we like to use it in our home…
Five Ways To Add Thinkmist™ To Your Child’s Food
- Grilled cheese
- Scrambled eggs
- Yogurt with granola